This Five Dollar Solid Gold coin focusing on Old Government House is part of the Colonial Heritage series. The
The Old Government House and Domain is situated at Parramatta Park, New South Wales. It was built on Darug land, home to the Burramatta tribe, and this can be seen in many ways, including shells from Aboriginal middens used to strengthen the mortar. It was the country residence of twelve governors extending from 1788 to 1856 and extends for 200 acres. The central block was completed in 1799 but it was the additions and extensions in 1815 made and designed by Macquarie's Aide, Lieutenant John Watts that transformed the house into an elegant Palladian style residence. It now contains the largest collection of colonial furniture in Australia which has been supplied by the National Trust. The trusteeship of the house and grounds were placed with the National Trust back in 1967, but was later given to the Parramatta Council. Eventually the control of the park was transferred to the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service who established another Park Trust. The Old Government House and Domain was listed on the National Heritage on the 1st August 2007 (Australian Government, 2013) . It was included as a UNESCO World Heritage Site back in 2001. It is open to visitors all year round and is free for members of the National Trust.
Find out what dealers are paying with a subscription.Subscribe now!
Find out what coins have actually sold for and where with a Standard/Professional subscription.Subscribe now!